<< back to home



Day number 27.1.06 of the voyage

hola from espanola way

"welcome to miami" as Will Smith sings (and katie repeatedly when we were in class one day and I was trying to think).

I am currently on a rickety old pay-computer in my hostel The Clay Hotel in the historic spanish village district of Espanola Way. After an adventurous journey here including nice taxi drivers, mean bus drivers and lost luggage, I finally made it here in one piece.

Today I enjoyed a looooong sleep in (in comparison to the ones I'd been getting anyway), then had a lovely shower and have just returned from exploring my section of South Beach, Miami.

I started off my day listening to a cute as voicemail left for me by the Williams clan. It made me chuckle a lot. Thanks kids (all 4 of you! :P) I miss you too. And of course I remember you :) Then off to discover and conquer!

I found several scungy souvenir stores (my favourite kind), the beach (feh, our sand is way better) and a couple of recycle shops in which I found myself in absolute heaven and wishing I had more room in my bags (imagine a mix of Reefside Recycle, The Dollar Shop, Southern Secondhand, Aussie Disposals and some sort of costume store). I wandered about happily thinking of each of my theatre buddies as I found this or that or something else.

Even though I've been warned about Miami and how I'm not to wander about by myself after dark (which I'd doubt I'd do anyway) I'm loving this place. Though it is quite a dramatic change from being in Orlando and work, where everyone is "high on D", to here. I've gone from having to remember to look everyone in the eye and smile, to avoiding eye contact with most unsavoury characters on the streets here (including the scruffy man preaching to the pigeons on Washington Ave). And once or twice I've had to remind myself that Mickey isnt here to protect me in this place, that said, as long as I do the right thing, I'm pretty safe. It's not like I'm going to go down dark alleys at 1am or nothing. Besides, look at me, the gangs would rather knock over some scrawny old lady than a (sometimes) mean-looking tall chunky Aussie in
a leather racing jacket and cargos.

So all you Floridian's who were/are worried about me when I said I was coming to Miami, just remember the first words I said when checking in to
Vista Way:

"Meh, I can take 'em."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous yo ho's...

Hey, Vix!

Glad you got our message. I realised that it's been a while since I rang - between your log and emails there hasn't been much left to say. But I thought it would be nice for you to hear our voices and some Aussie accents.

Not much happening here. Melodee and Dale have just finished up two weeks of swimming lessons. Holly is 14 today. OUCH! Melodee was 10 on the 4th and Dale is 12 in three days. Yes, it's an expensive two months for us! I'm keeping up the Smartie intake as only I can. We've had rain (OMG - that wet stuff we haven't seen for ages that leaks from the roof of the world!)and the temperature is cooler. Thank fk! I get so grumpy in the heat.

Ooh baby, livin' in Miami, I know you're hip to those hotel alibis la la la (John Cougar Meincampf). Watch out for all the old folk who drop dead all over the streets of Miami. (Isn't that where they all go to die?)

Take care, dahlink! xx

28/1/06 3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home