<< back to home



Day number 20.2.06 of the voyage

'Gladiator' but with boxing

Sorry, this story turned out pretty long...

I just came back from the York Room which houses gloriousness in the form of a HUGE flatscreen TV and awesomeness embodied in wonderful ceiling and wall surround sound. Okay, so it's not as great as that makes it sound, but it's pretty damn good, and the couches are so comfy - I've seen (and heard the consequential snoring) many an older person lulled into dreamland from their delicious comfort.

I was hanging around til 11pm for Doc to start work so I could talk to him and decided to mosey down to the York to busy myself watching the last of Cinderella Man, scheduled to begin at 9:45.

Went I got in it was empty (that's common enough, I'm used to having it all to myself which I'm thinking is one of the appeals) and the dvd menu of Corpse Bride was looping. Apparently no one thought it worth to put on the last film, and Corpse Bride was still on from the previous showing.

With about 15mins to 11pm I figured I'd just listen to the music from the menu and doze in the aforementioned wonderful couch, when an older guest arrived - about 70something and the same size as my grandmother - and took a seat in one of the arm chairs behind me. I thought she was just having a squiz but after a while she pulled out her activity sheet - daily information on whats happening at Woodloch incl film session times.

I got up and walked over to her and explained that the film was supposed to be on quite a while ago, and that I'll go up and see if they'll play it for us.
She said okay and I went up to the lobby level and was happy i got to tinkle the bell on the front desk.
I asked if they were playing the last movie tonite.
Anne said that it should have been on an hour ago.
I said yes and normally I wouldn't mind as I was just hanging around, but an actual guest is in York now so could we please put it on?
Anne said okay and I went back downstairs to the York.

The nice lady thanked me and asked if she was the only one. I said yep and that she may as well grab a comfy seat. I sat down and before long she joined me on my couch.
Whilst waiting for the next film and watching previews that dvds will NOT let you skip past she asked if I worked here. I said no but I'm a past employee just visiting.
About this time she noticed my accent and was asking me questions about the International Program etc etc and I told her about last time I was here and working for Disney this time.

The movie started and I'm sorry to say I actually enjoyed it, even though I will describe it as 'Gladiator with boxing' and am not a big fan of Russell nor Renee. At 11 something I called Doc's extension briefly and thanked him profusely for my ride.

So anyway the film finished with Maximus - er i mean 'James J Braddock' - triumphing of course and we got up commenting about the film. We both had to use the restroom so I was holding doors open and being in general a nice kid.

There were paper towels and rubbish around the restroom and I had already cleaned this all away and wiped down the counter by the time I thought 'wait what the hell am I doing?? Damn Disney!!'

It was pretty late and freezing outside by this time and I wasn't sure if buses were still running as sometimes they knock off at midnight. I asked the lady as we walked upstairs were in Woodloch she was staying. She told be Springbrook 3- which is not connected to the main building where we were - and I said I'd get transport for her.

She went to get her coat and I asked for a bus to the Springbrooks for a guest. When I went to the coat closet I told her a ride was coming for her soon and it'll take her back to her room.

She thanked me so much and asked my name and shook my hand and introduced herself as Muriel. I said it was nice to meet her and that she enjoy her stay.

Then I went to walk back to Pocono House but Muriel insisted that she either walk with me - which I said I wouldn't allow in this cold - or I get on the bus with her.
After a brief debate, I gave up arguing with a smile and a Yes Ma'am.

The bus came and opened the door and the driver said "Don't you ladies know it's past your bedtime?" and we got on.

We dropped Muriel off at Springbrook and she wished me luck with the rest of my travels. I thanked her and wished her goodnight. Then I was brought back here in a slight puzzlement over how I all of a sudden was a puppet again.

Two of the most highly acclaimed names in the United States now under my belt. I suppose each liked me for a reason. I'm pretty damn good. And an suck-up which helps.

I dunno. It's just as good to serve sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home