<< back to home



Day number 4.12.05 of the voyage

Earning My Ears

Righto, for those of you who don't actually know where I am or what I'm doing, I'll enlighten you. At the moment, I am presently in the Disney Learning Centre of Vista Way - one of the residential areas for the company. I am participating in the International Program working in Walt Disney World, Florida*. I have found out that I'm to be working in Downtown Disney (shopping district) as a Custodial Host (cleaning and guest service).

Today I completed all my pre-placement training at the Disney University, and got a red "Earning My Ears" ribbon attached to my nametag. It's all rather scholarly in the Disney University, expect the classrooms are called Studio's and there's screens up on the walls that tell you what class is where and when in case you get lost. There's also a D Store and some screens down in the lobby - where this morning I watched Lambert The Sheepish Lion and was most happy, it being an absolute favourite of mine.

You may ask, what do you need to go to a Disney University for just to be a cleaner? Well I wondered that too. I thought they'd be all "this is a broom, you use it like this." And part of it is. There's actually quite a bit more to it than that however. Today in my 4 hour class I had to learn about Bloodbourne Pathogens, Operating Guides and general service information. After the class I had two tests, one on Saftey Procedures and another on Guests With Disabilities.

The day before yesterday I had what's called 'Traditions' class for 8 hours and we learnt about Disney's history and how everything came into being, which is actually more interesting than it sounds, and more fun than the college kids would have me believe.

For Traditions and classes at the Disney University, we all have to wear business clothes. So I've had quite a nice time catching my reflection of me in my rather smart suit-ish attire, my hair in a few clips, thinking 'damn I'm sexy.'

Between then and arriving though our days were full of paperwork and lots of driving around and getting IDs and filling forms and generally getting settled. I was scheduled to go to an exlporing excursion through Downtown Disney yesterday but since it wasn't crucial I go, and I was desperately needing sleep, I decided to make yesterday my day for chilling instead.

In the orientation procedures, Disney being Disney, participation is greatly encouraged. Me being me, of course... well let's just say that everyone knows who I am now, since volunteers are scarce and those who put their hand up win free stuff =0P I now have a cup, some pens and some figurines.

Over the almost-week here I've had a few 'oh my god what am I doing here?' moments. Some of you may recognise these as the times I've called you on the phone =0D My mobile has died and doesnt like the US current so wont recharge so I've lost a few phone numbers for the time being. So sorry if you havn't/dont hear from me phonewise.

Immediately around me, the area from what I've seen thus far is mostly highways and marshland. They weren't kidding when they said Walt Disney World was ~76km sq. I imagined they meant a theme park at that size, which I was having trouble visualizing, but no, imagine that space, with the various theme parks like Magic Kingdom, Epcot (you know that big silver sphere - rather Rundle Mall-esque) etc strewn about the place, and heaps of resorts thrown in between them.

One third of Disney property is wildlife conservatory, but I've yet to see anything besides squirrels morning and evening, and a tiny lizard darting away from me just outside a few minutes ago.

I've been taking a few shots here and there, one of my favourites I've taken was of a bird on shopping trolleys outside Wal-Mart (oh how I love that place) looking for food and leftovers. Sorry the photos section of this whole site isn't working, I can't upload anything as yet. Y'all may have to wait til I get home.

Anyways, my net time is up. I'll catch y'all later I'm sure =0)


* "Fedorida" to some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home